Transportation Information and Policies
At Woodland Heights, our number one goal is students' safety on our buses and in our car rider line. If you have a question, please contact our school office at 704-663-1370.
What do I do if I need a transportation change?
- All transportation changes must happen prior to 1:40 - this ensures we have time to notify all parties of the changes.
- If someone will be picking up your child, please be sure to send in a note to the teacher. Remind the pick-up person they will need to have a valid photo ID to ensure the student's safety. If your child is going to another student's house, we must have a written note from both families approving the change.
- If your child is normally a car rider but needs to ride the bus (or vice versa) a written note is required. Calling the office to verify that we have received the note is strongly encouraged.
- Students may not ride the bus home with other students (exceptions can be made in emergency situations).
What is the car rider line process?
As many of you know, we have a lot of students who are car riders. Because of this, we ask that you follow these steps:
- Have your yellow car rider tag hanging from your mirror - Our teachers use this to call student names.
- Students are QUIETLY waiting in the cafeteria so they can hear their names as they are called.
- Pull up to our teacher so they can read your tag.
- The teacher will give you a color where your child will be waiting.
- Pull up to the color. Wait for your child to get in - if they need help with the door our staff will assist them. Please do not get out of the vehicle.
- DO NOT pass cars in the car rider line.
- If your child is late to their color, we may ask you to pull ahead.
What do I need to do if I would like to change my bus stop?
- Bus stops are assigned by our district transportation department and are not determined by WHES.
- If you would like your bus stop changed, you will need to complete a Bus Stop Change Request Form
- We will send this to the district transportation department for approval or denial.
- If approved, we will notify you of the change.
- If denied, you will receive notification in the mail. Decisions in bus stop changes are not determined by WHES.
- Drivers are not permitted to pick students up at stops that are not assigned stops.
What do I do if I forgot my car rider tag?
- After the first week of school, all car riders should get a tag.
- If you forget your tag, you may be asked to pull up, park in the gravel parking area, and asked to show a valid photo ID.
- This is to maintain the safety of our children.
I saw someone pass a STOPPED school bus. What do I do?
- At a minimum try to get the license plate number.
- Take down information - the car model, year, color, and any additional information
- Take down the direction the car was going, at what stop, and any additional information
- Report the incident to the NC State Troopers 704-878-4221
If you have additional questions, you may also go to the Iredell-Statesville Schools Transportation website or read these additional frequently asked questions.